We are looking for a full time, fixed term (2 years) Monitoring & Enforcement Officer to join our busy Development Management team in Bakewell.
The role is the perfect opportunity for someone with some planning knowledge and the ability to effectively negotiate to ensure our areas of outstanding natural beauty remain protected.
The Peak District National Park is a treasured landscape that has been shaped by the long interaction of natural and cultural forces. You will play an important role in maintaining the balance between people and nature to ensure that the Park can be enjoyed for generations to come. What’s more, we are based between Manchester, Sheffield and Derby, making this the ideal opportunity if you’re looking to break away from city life and commute to the country.
As a Monitoring & Enforcement Officer, you will mainly work on the ‘frontline’ reacting to, and investigating, complaints about works carried out without planning permission with a particular focus on Listed Buildings. In some cases you’ll pursue formal enforcement action, including drafting reports and formal notices and you may be required to present evidence in court.
Specifically, you will:
- Carry out site inspections to investigate alleged breaches of planning control
- Advise applicants and members of the public on planning and enforcement matters
- Draft reports seeking delegated authority for enforcement action
- Liaise with the Authority's legal officers on enforcement matters
- Accurately maintain computerised case records
To join us as a Monitoring & Enforcement Officer, you will need:
- The ability to read and interpret technical drawings
- Good organisational and time-management skills, high level of attention to detail and accurate record-keeping
- Good communication, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- GCSEs (Grade A-C), or equivalent, in English and Maths
It is essential that you have an awareness of the relevant planning legislation and it would be an advantage if you had some knowledge of conservation, agriculture and the geography of the Peak District.
Although we will consider those with no relevant experience and the minimum level of qualifications, it would be desirable to have experience or qualifications in planning, law enforcement or building construction. A current driving licence or the means to travel to carry out the duties of the role is essential.
- Local government pension scheme
- Flexible working
- Free on-site parking
- Work from offices based in the heart of the National Park
- Benefit from stunning surroundings and views on a daily basis
- Hybrid working arrangements
The Peak District National Park Authority protects, enhances and shares the natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage of the Peak District. We also support the economic and social wellbeing of the communities in which we work.
As the UK’s first National Park, the Peak District has a rich history and has been shaped by the interaction of people and nature over thousands of years. The Park is enjoyed by millions each year looking for adventure, knowledge and a fantastic day out.
- Care – We care for the Peak District National Park, the people we work with and all those we serve. It’s at the heart of everything we do
- Enjoy – We take pride in what we do and feel good about our contribution
- Pioneer – We were born of pioneers. We will continue to explore opportunities to inspire future generations
For an informal conversation about the role, please contact email@example.com. No agencies at this time, please.
A range of flexible working options would be considered. If you would like to discuss this, please contact us.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
The Peak District National Park Authority is an equal opportunities employer, values diversity and is strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environment is, the better our work will be.
We are a Disability Confident employer and guarantee to interview anyone with a disability whose application meets the essential criteria for the role.
Confirm email address
Not a valid email.You are unable to continue with this application. This may be because this email address has already been used to apply for this job.This email address cannot be used as it is already used by a Webrecruit ATS account.An internal error occurred.